Friday, June 10, 2011

My Childhood

I was born in 1970, so I grew up in the 70-80's. I had a great childhood. I often reflect on my childhood because I have so many happy memories. It was a stress free life for me. No job, No bills, No responsibilities. A good life.

I grew up in Taylor, MI. It was the four of us, Dad, Mom, Brother, and Me. This is the home I grew up in. This picture was taken in 2010. This house has changed a lot but it was my first home and it was special.



Growing up in that house was a lot of fun. There were kids everywhere!! Each house in the neighborhood, had at least 1-2 kids living there. We lived right next door to the school, so we had a park to play in everyday. There was an area called the "Black Top", which was asphalt that had basketball nets, and we would ride our bikes and roller skate on it for hours!

Back in the day, we didn't have video games or cable, so in the summertime we were always outside. From sun up to sun down, we played hard! We checked in at home every once in a while, but for the most part, we just played. We had to come in when the streetlights came on, or when my dad stood at the back door and whistled. He had the loudest whistle in the neighborhood and we knew it was him and we knew to get home!!

One of my favorite things as a kid, was my bike. It was yellow, and had a white banana seat :) I put a lot of miles on that bike. We lived near the woods, and we made trails through the woods that we would ride on. We had a blast!!

When the 4th of July rolled around, we were the talk of the neighborhood. Everyone knew that my dad would get tons of fireworks and he would set them off next door at the school lot. Kids would come from all over the neighborhood to see them. It was awesome!!

I have many, many, memories growing up. Those were the good days. Sometimes I wish it was still like that....but you got to grow up!!

What are some of your great childhood memories?

No comments: